Saturday 24 May 2014

Surgeon's Table Saturday


Let me start this by making it quite clear I am not normally a violent person. Despite my interest in things military I have definite preference for the more peaceful pursuits. However, having gotten that out of the way I can now say that if I *ever* actually meet the gobsmacking idiot who cut these wonderful miniatures off at the ankle with a pair of side cutters I *will* do him a lasting and visibly gruesome injury. [ahem!]

All four needed both legs pinning. Number two is missing over half his foot and both ankles!

Today's efforts at the painting table have included very little in the way of brushwork. Rather I've been stripping, drilling and pinning these absolutely gorgeous Oldhammer trolls I bought on fleaBay years ago. Each of them had been removed from their original base with something clearly more suited to forge-work than Forgeworld. What possessed the previous owner to do such a thing is beyond me and I will take great pleasure in finally restoring them to their rightful state, despite the work that will eventually entail. For those who remember the Winged Nightmare Episode, this is if at all possible even more complicated a restoration.

The pins go all the way up through into the legs and bend back beneath for strength.

As you can see in the first pic Troll Number Two is by far the worst. Not only were both legs cut clean through, his left foot is now more than half missing. He'll now require the kind of work normally performed by Dr Richard Steadman at an eyewatering hourly rate (OK knees not ankles but you get the idea).

It's a month on crutches and then 9 months rehab for you matey...

And having finally gotten that off my chest I can now ask a question. Does anyone know anything at all about these particular miniatures? Endless Google Foo has revealed only the very early Marauder or (I suspect later) Citadel versions. I'm fairly confident these fall in between but can't find a single image. I'm keen to know if I have the whole set for starters.

And that's it for today. Rant over. Stay tuned for "Green Stuff Sunday"... :-)

Cheers,
Millsy

3 comments :

  1. We can rebuild him... better... stronger... uglier!

    I have a sneaking suspicion that these are pre-1999 Stone Trolls, but don't quote me on that.

    Wasn't Marauder the US distribution arm for the old-skool Citadel stuff? If memory serves, the older casts had a longer availability run in those packs than the stuff sold directly by GW. When the old stuff was superseded in GW, you could generally pick it up at a non-GW store in a Marauder blister pack.

    Don't know if any of this is useful, but I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck in your endeavors - I cant help answer your question, though recognize the far right pose. I must admit I've rescued a few minis from Fleabay and Fleatrade before though rarely in piece like this....

    I do recall, many many moons ago, when selling up to emigrate, I sold some old GW hobgoblins on ebay... sadly the trader complained they had arrive damaged in the mail - literal snapped through at the ankles. I was dubious, it looked more like he tried to remove from the bases and they had snapped there rather than the glue (an epoxy I had used) give way...

    Hope you get these guys back to their potential glory, I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good folks. The patients are in recovery and the doc reports a near total success. I'm off to buy a magazine and some grapes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...